Can you really get data entry jobs from home without investment? Data entry jobs are a great way to get started with a work-at-home career. There are many legitimate typing opportunities online! If you can find positions for data entry work from home without registration fees, then you can make a significant income quite quickly. But does data entry work make sense for most people? Is the work easy to get? Does the pay justify it? In this article, we will answer those types of questions.
In theory, data entry is the perfect entry level work from home job. Here is why:
1. Data entry is relatively easy work
2. It is easy to get started with no money
3. There is no long training required, you can simply just start
4. You don’t need any professional qualifications or education. This means that the barrier to entry is low.
5. The work schedule is extremely flexible
6. The pay is reasonable (above minimum wage)
If you are new to working from home or need to make some money quickly, data entry is a great place to start. Sure, it is not the best paid work or the most interesting, but it is a way to make money from home without much hassle.
SIDENOTE! INVESTING DIVA!
Want to make more money with alternatives to data entry? These online businesses can pay $100 per hour!!
2. Teach English online to Chinese kids. Earn $20+ per hour and work from anywhere. Read more about teaching English here.
3. Proofreading is well paid ($100 per hour!).
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links on this page are affiliate links. This means that we may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. Please understand that we have experienced all of these companies, and we recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions that we receive if you decide to buy something through our links. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them. Data entry jobs from home without investment needed can be hard to find.
What Skills Do You Need for Data Entry?
You can find many data entry jobs without investment of any kind. Although the type of work varies, there are some core skills that you will need:
1. You need to be able to type! The faster that you can type, the more money you will be able to make because many jobs are not paid hourly, rather you will be paid per job.
2. You will need to be familiar with the most commonly used software programs. The basics included Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs and other spreadsheet software. Luckily, most people have used these programs before, and they are very easy to learn.
3. Patience. The main personality quality that will enable you to be a great data entry worker is patience. The work is very repetitive, and this can drive some people crazy. I don’t have much patience, but I can usually just put on a podcast and mindlessly type stuff. If you don’t like repetitive work, then data entry jobs might not be for you.
4. Basic computer skills are essential. You must be able to use a computer and do all of the basic stuff like installing software etc. Most people these days will already be very adept at this.
5. Organized. You need to be able to organize data etc. or you will probably not last long as a data entry worker! This means that you must be organized when it comes to your filing system on your computer. Good file names and structure is essential for keeping track of stuff.
If the picture below is you…..then perhaps data entry is not the right career path!
You most likely already own all the equipment that you will need to do data entry. All you need is a home office that has a computer, internet access and a comfortable chair.
How Much Money Can You Earn with Data Entry?
The average hourly wage is $15 per hour. But this might not be the whole picture. Most data entry jobs pay per project, so if you are slow then you might earn a much lower hourly wage. The biggest problem with generating a substantial income from data entry work is actually getting enough work.
The competition is pretty high because of the low barrier to entry. Because the required skills are easily obtained, the employers know that they have the advantage and can pay a low wage.
It is difficult to get work and you have to perform well if you want to command top dollar. This means minimizing any mistakes in the data entry.
Apparently, you can sometimes find jobs that will pay you a full-time income, but these are very few. Data entry jobs online might be better suited to people that are looking to side hustle and make a little extra money on the side.
Data Entry Job Scams
Unfortunately, this industry has a lot of scammers that will promise thousands of dollars a month for simple data entry. I think that the reason this happens is that they assume that the people looking for these jobs are desperate. Here are a few tips on how to spot and avoid scam data entry jobs:
- Look for data entry jobs from home without investment needed – you shouldn’t have to invest in a company to get a job!
- I would always look for data entry work from home jobs without registration fees. I don’t like to pay for the opportunity to work for someone. High fees are one of the ways that they can scam you. The scamming companies will often tell you that they need a fee to ‘show them that you are serious’.
- Any job offering big money for little work is probably a scam.
- Research the company online. If you can’t find any information about them, run away!
- Be wary of companies that want you to go through a ‘training period’ where they will not pay you or pay a tiny amount. You might find that after your ‘training period’ is over that they just don’t have any more work.
Our goal with telling you all of this is not to scare you. There are some legitimate companies that pay you for data entry. You just have to be careful. In the next section we want to show you some better ways to make money online.
Higher Paid Alternatives to Data Entry Work
If you like the idea of working on data entry jobs from home without investment, then you will LOVE these other ideas for making money online from home. They will pay you a lot more than data entry work AND you can be your own boss.
If you pay attention to small details, you might want to consider starting your own freelance proofreading business online. It pays a lot more than data entry does!
Proofreading is the final stage in the editing process. People will pay you to put the final polish on a document. A proofreader is responsible for ensuring that all of the spelling mistakes, grammatical errors are fixed and that the document is free of mistakes. Businesses will pay you for this service because they want to appear as professional and as polished as possible.
Proofreading is something that you need to work at. Having an ‘eagle eye’ for mistakes is just the starting point.
As more digital material is produced, the demand for good proofreaders increases. This means that the industry is growing rapidly!
We have had some articles written by full-time freelance proofreaders. You can check out the articles below to learn how they have been able to make money proofreading.
1. How Elizabeth makes $100 per hour proofreading online.
2. Drew Duboff describes how he became a freelancer and makes money proofreading!
Freelance Bookkeeping Business ($80+ per hour)
One of the highest paid alternatives to data entry work is to start a bookkeeping business online. This business requires many of the same skills as data entry! However, the pay is much higher. I know plenty of freelance bookkeepers that make $100+ an hour.
Bookkeeping involves keeping a record of a business’s financial transactions to ensure compliance with the law and to help business owners keep track of their finances.
You really don’t need any degree or accounting qualifications to become an online bookkeeper! However, it is recommended that you do take a full training course that teaches you everything that you need to know. This is WAY cheaper than getting an accounting degree which is usually full of fluff….
Recommended Bookkeeping Course
If you want to find out more about bookkeeping and if it is right for you, be sure to check out this FREE WEBINAR by world famous bookkeeping guru, Ben Robinson. Ben runs one of the best bookkeeping courses called Bookkeeper Launch.
The Bookkeeper Launch course is not cheap. But you won’t find a more comprehensive course that walks you through the entire process of becoming a freelance bookkeeper and getting your first clients!
We recently bought the course and worked our way through it. It was EXCEPTIONAL and you can read our full review here, including interviews and testimonials with successful students.
Transcribing audio is another alternative way to make money if you are interested in data entry type jobs. You basically listen to audio that a company wants converted to a written document. There are many different reasons that they might want a file transcribed. Many medical professionals, lawyers and even bloggers use this type of service.
We took a great course and learned how to start a transcribing freelance business – read our review of Transcribe Anywhere for more details.
The Best Data Entry Jobs Online
Here are some of the most legitimate typing opportunities online. Check them out!
Clickworker. Data entry tasks are available on Clickworker. You can sign up for free and start doing jobs. They also have proofreading jobs, surveys and many other money-making gigs. You can pick and choose jobs which gives you great flexibility. Payment is via PayPal.
The Smart Crowd. There are many different data entry jobs to be found on The Smart Crowd. Again, this is a free site with flexible jobs to choose from. The site tries to match you to jobs that fit your skill set.
Birch Creek Communications (BCC). This company does not always have data entry jobs. The pay is per job when they do have data entry jobs available.
FlexJobs. FlexJobs is a very well-known freelance job site that does offer some data entry work. The nice thing about FlexJobs is that all of the jobs posted are vetted, so you don’t have to worry about getting scammed!
DionData Solutions. The standards are quite high for the jobs that come up on this site. You need to be able to type quickly and accurately. You have to be a US citizen to work with this site.
Capital Typing. This is a complete outsourcing company that provides clients with all kinds of different office services (including data entry services).
DataPlus+. These guys also hire people for data entry jobs.
Microworkers. Data entry jobs are available on this site. The rate of pay is usually quite competitive. Payment is done through PayPal. There is not much if any screening of the jobs on this site, so be careful of getting scammed.
Fiverr.com. This is the famous freelance gig site where you can list your data entry services. You don’t have to price your services for just $5! A nice place to find some work and be your own boss.
AccuTran Global. This is primarily a transcription company, but they do occasionally have some data entry jobs. Monitoring this site is definitely worthwhile in case some nice jobs come up.
Conclusions: Data Entry Jobs from Home Without Investment
We think that data entry jobs can be a great place to start for the new work-at-home entrepreneur. However, if you want to make some serious money online it’s much better to start a freelance business like freelance writing or a bookkeeping business. These businesses all have unlimited potential to be scaled to $100,000+ per year businesses.
There are many legitimate typing opportunities online. Avoiding the scams is half the battle!
We hope that we have given you a starting point and an introduction into the world of online data entry jobs.
Russell and Maleah
So, is it possible to find data entry jobs from home without investment? Yup! There are many legitimate typing opportunities online, you just have to be able to find the ones that are legit. Data entry work from home without (registration fees) is a real work-at-home career!