Here are some of the best ESL tutoring jobs no degree required! You can teach English online with no experience and without an English degree.
Teaching English as a second language (or ESL as it is known) can be a really great side hustle.
Many Americans all over the country have been making over $20.00 an hour teaching English to foreign students online.
One of the best things about teaching English as a second language is that you don’t always need a degree in English or any teaching qualifications to make this work.
You can simply sign up for the different websites and become an English teacher after you complete some simple tests and an interview process.
You can even do ESL tutoring on your smartphone and work from anywhere in the world. In this article we want to show you the different websites that you can use to teach English online and make a decent living as an ESL tutor.
So, what DO you need to become an English second language tutor online?
The only thing that is 100% always required for all of the ESL jobs in this articles is that you are fluent in English as your native language. This is the only thing that you MUST have to be able to teach English online!
Don’t have a degree or any teaching experience? Have you considered starting your own freelance business? Here are our readers top two favorites!
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, I will earn a commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
Three Main Ways to Teach English Online with No Experience or A Degree
Here are the 3 main ways to start as an English teacher online:
1) Become a freelance English teacher on a platform like Italki. You make a profile that explains your teaching experience, style and some information about yourself. Students find you on the site and book lessons with you. The students look for the teachers that standout and have good reviews.
2) Find a job as an English teacher online. This is where you find a platform that pays you an hourly wage to teach students online. Most of the companies that pay you to do this require that you are a native English speaker. The main benefits of working for a company is that all you have to do is turn up and teach your class when the clients schedule a lesson. VIPKID is one of the most well-known and popular sites for this.
3) Online private lessons. This is very much like in the real world where you would advertise your services and then give private lessons to individuals.
You can do all of these simultaneously if you want! Or just pick 1 or 2 of them to work on.
So, what do you do to maximize your chances of getting offered the best ESL tutoring jobs with no degree required? Luckily, many places that hire people to teach English have realized that a four year degree doesn’t actually help your ability to teach it as a second language.
A List of the Best ESL Tutoring Jobs No Degree Required
We wanted to put together a list of the companies that allow you to teach English online even if you don’t have a degree. Many of these companies offer online tutoring jobs with no experience required.
Here is our list of the best ESL tutoring jobs with no degree required!
Cambly is a great place to find the best ESL tutoring jobs (no degree required). Cambly is one of the most flexible platforms for teaching English as a second language. The students are primarily adults in foreign countries that want to learn to speak English.
What makes Cambly so good?
- Unique teaching style, more conversational than formal lecturing!
- You can work as much or as little as you want.
- Cambly offers unlimited online tutoring jobs with no experience required!
- The rate of pay is $10 per 30 minute class.
- Easy application process.
- Work from anywhere in the world.
Cambly is the perfect example of a site that offers online tutoring jobs no degree needed, or any experience required.
2) Open English
Open English is another site that you can check out if you want to teach ESL online with no degree or experience.
This site operates on the 1-on-1 lesson structure and pays about $10 – $15 per class. Many of the students are in Latin America, so it helps to be able to speak Spanish. Open English does have a more extensive vetting process for teachers, but they don’t require a college degree.
The site attracts students of all ages and there are plenty of opportunities. However, they limit you to only 24 hours of teaching per week. I have no idea why! The schedule is extremely flexible, and you don’t have to be in the U.S. to qualify as a teacher for the site.
3) Magic Ears
Magic Ears is more of a platform for teaching Chinese kids under 12 years old. You generally don’t teach kids 1-on-1 at Magic Ears. The classes are usually organized with 4 students per class. This style of class enhances peer-to-peer interactions using the English language which can be quite helpful.
The classes are 25 minutes long and the lesson plan is given to you. Magic Ears don’t require you to have a degree or experience join them as an ESL teacher. However, they do want to see that you are a great teacher that is enthusiastic and friendly.
The pay is pretty good, certainly better than most sites on this list. Maybe it is because you are teaching 4 kids at a time. Magic Ears pays $20 per class (25 minutes). This is almost double other sites like VIPKID.
SayABC is one of the highest paid ESL teaching sites online. While SayABC is one of the highest paying sites and offers the best ESL tutoring jobs with no degree required. They do actually want you to have a degree to become an ESL teacher with them, but they are prepared to give people a chance if they don’t have one.
They do want you have some teaching experience or a TEFL certificate if you don’t have a degree.
At SayABC the students are children under 12 years old.
The pay rate is about $20 per class which works out to about $30 per hour. Not bad really considering the flexibility of the work.
Acadsoc is a growing company that is aspiring to offer the best ESL tutoring jobs no degree required. They do require a TEFL certificate if you don’t have a degree.
This seems to be the norm when applying for online tutoring jobs no degree needed.
Acadsoc currently pays about $10 per class. The classes are aimed at Chinese students.
They offer a variety of different work schedules from full-time to ‘whenever you want to’.
6) Amazing Talker
Amazing Talker is a very international teaching website that doesn’t insist that the teachers have any degree. You can also teach other languages on this platform – not just English! The classes are about 50 minutes and the pay is $25 per class. Not bad, right?
They do want you to have a TEFL certificate and some teaching experience.
SkimaTalk is our final site that offers ESL jobs online that don’t require a college degree. This company doesn’t require a degree or even a TEFL certificate. You do have to be a native English speaker though.
The other good thing about SkimaTalk is that they don’t pay you a set hourly amount – you set your own rate and they take a 20% cut! This could help you earn more than with other sites.
If you don’t have a 4-year degree, here is a list of what you WILL need to teach English online
1) High quality equipment: many companies really care that you have a reliable and fast internet connection. A high quality camera and microphone are very important to teaching online.
2) Fluent in English: fluency in English is of course a requirement for teaching ESL online. While being a native English speaker is not required, fluency in English is a non-negotiable skill.
3) TEFL certificate: A TEFL certificate will allow you to apply for online tutoring jobs no degree needed. Here is a good article about how to go about getting your TEFL certificate. A TEFL certificate will more than make up for a 4 year degree. There are many courses that offer certification. The courses last about 120 hours and costs vary dramatically. The video below offers some information on how to get the lowest cost TEFL (only $19!?).
4) Experience: you can teach English online with no experience, but you will have a lot more options if you have some experience teaching or mentoring. If you don’t have any experience but you still want to teach, consider signing up for online English teaching courses to strengthen your resume.
In College and Want to Teach ESL online?
Teaching ESL online is an ideal way for college students to make money on a very flexible schedule. There are a few sites that will hire college students to teach English online.
QKids is one of the best ones that will hire college students for ESL tutoring jobs. But any of the ESL tutoring jobs with no degree required will happily hire college students that are working towards 4-year degrees.
Conclusions – Finding Online Tutoring Jobs No Degree Needed
The best ESL tutoring jobs with no degree required can be found via a quick Google search. The days of requiring a 4-year degree to teach English are long gone! We hope that the short article will help people that want to teach English online with no experience or no degree.
The key to getting started with online tutoring jobs with no experience or without a degree is to get TEFL certified. The process takes a few weeks, but it will open up a lifetime of freedom to earn money online. It also costs A LOT less than a 4 year degree!
Russell and Maleah